Over time, when I was already completely tired of sniffing exhaust gases and listening to the roar of the engine bursting eardrums, as well as tormenting my body, climbing a steep climb on a bike in the city, a wonderful alternative appeared that eliminates all these side effects of slow movement – buying an electric bike … What is this miracle of technology? What is the difference from a simple bicycle or moped? Should you buy it? This article is devoted to these issues.
Why is an e-bike good?
So, the electric bike differs from the usual one in that it contains an electric drive, which fully or partially ensures its movement. The difference from a moped or an electric scooter is the ability to start pedaling.
In urban driving conditions, it is useful to use an electric bike in traffic jams, passing freely between the rows, even uphill. To store this type of transport does not require a lot of space, and with the purchase of a folding model, you can generally go with it, for example, on a bus. Folding e-bikes are becoming more popular due to their compact size.
In addition to the above, an e-bike is worth buying for the following reasons:
- For a variety of active leisure: cycling will be longer and more exciting;
- You can easily ride upwind or uphill;
- Charging the battery is ten times cheaper than refueling with gasoline;
- If the battery is discharged, you can use the pedal drive;
- Gives the right to drive without a driver’s license;
- Relieve exhaust gases without harming the environment.
What should you look for when buying a product?
Now about how you should choose an e-bike when buying. To do this, you need to ask yourself questions about under what conditions it will be used, who will have to ride it, in what mode it will work predominantly.
As already mentioned, in an urban environment, the folding option is ideal for use. The size of the frame and the low weight of such a model guarantees maneuverability and ease of use: you can easily put it in the trunk of a car, place it in an elevator or in an apartment, or bring it into public transport. But for movement over long distances, the opposite option is suitable with a non-folding frame and large wheels for transporting goods on the trunk.
For teenagers, it is better to purchase a folding model with wheels, the diameter of which is 16 or 20 inches, while for adults, the option with larger wheels and a larger battery will be more acceptable. For older people, a product with a good suspension is better suited. To transport passengers, a motor with a power of at least 350 W is required.
It is important to know that on this vehicle movement is possible in three modes:
- Using only the pedal drive;
- Using only an electric motor;
- In mixed mode.
The change of modes is performed by the power control system. Special attention should be paid to the technical characteristics of the electric motor, since this criterion has a great influence on the price of the model. It is very important to choose the right motor for your e-bike!
There are several options here: geared and gearless. A geared electric motor is inferior in terms of speed to a gearless one, but it is lighter in weight, does not interfere with free pedaling and is usually cheaper.
At the same time, you need to look at which wheel the electric motor is on.
Here, too, two types of construction can be distinguished: with the location of the motor in front or behind. That is, as in a car, an e-bike can be front or rear wheel drive. Ease of control depends on this criterion. In front-wheel drive products, the load is better distributed due to the battery usually located at the back or on the frame, but rear-wheel drive models are outwardly more beautiful due to the engine hidden in the specified design. Although today you can find all-wheel drive models on sale. In most cases, these are mountain e-bikes.
Considering that the motor loads the fork on the wheel with its weight, it is better to purchase products with a steel fork in order to significantly increase the overhaul period.
Do not forget about the battery, the speed data and the duration of the ride on the electric motor depend on the correct choice of which.
Basically, they install batteries such as:
- Lead-gel, which is most likely the most affordable; withstands from five hundred to seven hundred cycles without recharging; usually serves two years.
- Lithium-ion, consisting of a large variety of batteries; lithium-manganese batteries are used on simple products, which withstand no more than eight hundred cycles without recharging; usually serve three years.
- Lithium polymer, which is very light in weight; a good model of such a battery is a lithium phosphate battery that can withstand up to two thousand charges; usually serves for about seven years.
- Lead-acid, which is the simplest and cheapest on the current market, therefore, it lags behind in technical parameters from the above; it can only withstand from three hundred to five hundred cycles without recharging, and it lasts one to two years; its power decreases over time, which cannot be said about lithium-polymer batteries.
Now about the voltage and capacity of the battery. If the battery voltage is high, the e-bike will run faster. So, with a 48 V battery, you can accelerate to 45 km / h. The battery capacity determines the model’s mileage without recharging. For a child, for example, 10 A / h is enough, this will make it possible to accelerate without using pedals up to 16 km / h.
It is very important to check what the brakes cost. With a motor power of 250 W, a traditional V-brake system will do, and above 350 W, disc brakes should be installed.
Whose models are the best to buy?
So what are the best e-bike models to choose? Which manufacturer should you trust? Immediately, I note that it is better to refrain from buying cheap Chinese fakes, which during normal use will not last even one year. Better to choose models from well-known manufacturers! Let me give you an example.
- Volteco . It is one of the leaders not only in the production of electric bicycles, but also in electric vehicles in general. The models of this manufacturer are distinguished by their reliability, beautiful appearance and an excellent balance of price and quality.
- Wellness . Produces comfortable city electric bicycles. Has a good reputation in the sales market.
- Pedego . Differs in the production of premium bicycles, characterized by a large number of positive customer reviews.
Someone recommends buying electric bicycles in stores on Aliexpress, referring to low prices and a large selection, someone in sports stores or other places, it is better to weigh the pros and cons and make the right decision.
In one, you can be one hundred percent sure that purchasing an electric bike will have a beneficial effect on the life of any person, regardless of height, body weight and other characteristics. So if there is a desire to buy a steel friend with an electric heart, then you should not resist him!